Diabetes is a chronic illness that requires ongoing patient self-management education to reduce the risk of long-term complications.
Treating diabetes not only requires your medical provider's expertise, but also your willingness to actively participate in your own care. We understand that diabetes is the most harmful disorder to the body and the most difficult to understand, which is why the Healthy Living Center offers intense diabetes education and training.
The Diabetes Education Class has a 3-part comprehensive format that lasts approximately 2 hours each. The sessions include:
- A brief physical exam that focuses on the key body sites that diabetes attacks
- A diabetic friendly meal prepared by a chef to serve as an example that diabetic food choices can be extremely tasty
- A presentation about diabetes from a medical provider that introduces and explains the many elements of diabetes
- A certified diabetes educator (CDE)-led counseling session on how to make healthier food choices
- A review of glucose home monitoring and how to interpret the results
The cost for the sessions can be covered by most insurances.